Thursday, November 09, 2006

Tangled Garden Socks

Here are the completed socks (pattern from Knitty.com). I used Regia sock yarn and originally started with size 1 needles. I got about 3/4 of the way through the 1st sock, but when I tried it on I couldn't even get it over my foot. I ripped the whole thing out and started over with size 2 needles, and I also made sure to carry my yarn loosely.

They are ok now, but they are a bit big and the knit fabric is looser than I'd like. You can see the yellow yarn peeking through the blue (yes it's yellow even though it looks white in the picture). I think I should have just loosened my stranding without changing needle sizes.

What I think I've decided overall is that I don't really like the combination of socks + fair-isle. I've made other things in fair-isle - hats, mittens, and a doll sweater. I also have a vest in the to-do pile. Socks just seem to be a bit too problematic. Of course, I could change my mind some day and try again. I never seem to know where my knitting will lead me next.

No comments: