Friday, November 20, 2015

Loopy Academy Fabric Semester 1 - Project #3 - Seasonal Wall Hanging

The third project for Loopy Academy was for a seasonal wall hanging.  Since I already have fabrics and pattern planned for Fall and Christmas wall hangings, I decided to make a spring/summer themed wall hanging for this challenge.  I've been wanting to make a rainbow star quilt, so that's what I decided to do.  I bought as many floral fabrics as I could find in the rainbow theme, and I used white for the background.  For the back I used a colorful checked material and also made a couple rows of the rainbow fabric in order to get the back to the right size.  I think it turned out pretty nice.  Some of my points aren't perfect, but my 1/4" seams are getting much better, and the center of the star is really pretty accurate.  I quilted the stars around the edges and all the squares have an x quilted in them.  Now that academy is finished, I plan to learn how to do FMQ so that my quilts will have a little more interest.


After I posted this and added the photo to the Loopy Ewe website, I decided that the quilt really could use more "quilting".   So, I quillted all the white areas around the star - it took me an additional 18 days to do all that quilting.   I think it looks better, and although it's not perfect, I like it and I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out.  

No comments: